Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/)
-   -   Is my water heater gas only? (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/is-my-water-heater-gas-only-219722.html)

AverageGuy 10-30-2020 08:56 AM

Is my water heater gas only?

I have a 2011 Georgetown 378ts. I'm not near the MH right now so can't really look at anything, but when I was working on it last week, I didn't see any wiring that I could identify as 120V to the water heater. Did this thing come with only lp? I also didn't see a switch.

GalsofEscape 10-30-2020 09:33 AM

you are going to need the model of the water heater in order to get any meaningful answers.

Scrapper 10-30-2020 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Until you get us the model of your water heater you can look in the breaker panel for a breaker for the WH. The 120vac electrical connection will be behind the water heaters tank body, likely in a position you will not be able to see easily. If you have a Suburban water heater, open the panel on the outside of the motorhome and look on the lower left side for a small rocker switch. See the photo attached.

wmtire 10-30-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGuy (Post 2442661)
I have a 2011 Georgetown 378ts. I'm not near the MH right now so can't really look at anything, but when I was working on it last week, I didn't see any wiring that I could identify as 120V to the water heater. Did this thing come with only lp? I also didn't see a switch.

All the wiring is behind the water heater if you have a tank type heater. If you have a tankless/on demand water heater then it probably is gas only.

A picture of the water heater will let us easily identify it for you.

PHILPOTTLAKE 10-31-2020 10:00 AM

Alot of rv hot water heaters are just propane. If you don't see a 120 wire going to it, probably propane only.

nomad297 10-31-2020 10:46 AM

The brochure I found online for the 2011 Georgetowns states this in the specifications:

“ • 6 Gal. G/E DSI Water Heaters”

Unless your water heater has been changed-out to propane-only since it was built, your water heater is gas and electric.

Bruce

bubbles 10-31-2020 10:55 AM

2012 Georgetown 378TS is 10 gallon Suburban LP/electric water heater. 2011 GT 378TS is the same.

AverageGuy 11-02-2020 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone. When I get back in town, I'll take a closer look and report back. The unit looks pretty old so I'm guessing it's the original.Also I need to pull the anode out and see what shape it's in. There is a spare anode laying by the WH.

Jim.

AverageGuy 11-06-2020 07:19 PM

And it has a very hidden switch. I did't see it, but it's there. Thanks everyone.
Jim

Reverse_snowbird 11-07-2020 10:45 PM

Don't use that water heater on the electric setting unless it's full of water (turn on a hot water faucet to fill). ... but you probably already knew that.

AverageGuy 11-08-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird (Post 2447163)
Don't use that water heater on the electric setting unless it's full of water (turn on a hot water faucet to fill). ... but you probably already knew that.

It's had water in it since I bought it. When i finally located the switch it was ON. The water was not hot, so I checked the breaker inside. It was off, so I turned it on and I'll see what happens. The WH is full of water, I was able to get water to come out of the relief valve.

Thanks,
Jim.

MR.M 11-08-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGuy (Post 2447381)
It's had water in it since I bought it. When i finally located the switch it was ON. The water was not hot, so I checked the breaker inside. It was off, so I turned it on and I'll see what happens. The WH is full of water, I was able to get water to come out of the relief valve.

Thanks,
Jim.

So your saying you've had water in the heater since you got it ? what kind of used to you get out of it ? if it's been sitting long you could have some nasty water in there . for sure pull the anode and see what comes out .

AverageGuy 11-08-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR.M (Post 2447384)
So your saying you've had water in the heater since you got it ? what kind of used to you get out of it ? if it's been sitting long you could have some nasty water in there . for sure pull the anode and see what comes out .

We just bought it. I've run water through the system a couple of times in the past 6 weeks or so. We camped in a couple of places so the water heater has been purged. It just won't heat with electricity. I heats up fine with gas. I plan on pulling the anode, I didn't have a 1 1/16 socket and ordered one. It came today. I'll probably pull it tomorrow.
I reset the breaker and checked, it's not heating. I'm guessing someone before me turned it on empty. The fellow that had it didn't seem to know much and I think had only had it for 18 months or so. For instance, he insisted it had an inverter which after inspecting the rig I knew was not true. There were other systems he didn't know anything about too. So at this point I don't have electric hot water nor do I have a working front furnace. I hope to fix one of those issues in the very near future.

Thanks,
Jim.

Iggy 11-08-2020 04:35 PM

I and other had the little power switch go bad on the heater itself.
It can be poopped out to check to see if you have a hot coming from the circuit breaker.

AverageGuy 11-08-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2447472)
I and other had the little power switch go bad on the heater itself.
It can be poopped out to check to see if you have a hot coming from the circuit breaker.

So it's a press in switch? Thanks, I'll give that a try. Don't worry I'm very familiar with A/C trouble shooting. I won't electrocute myself but I am surprised that it would be that easy to access.

Thanks,
Jim.

Iggy 11-08-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGuy (Post 2447584)
So it's a press in switch? Thanks, I'll give that a try. Don't worry I'm very familiar with A/C trouble shooting. I won't electrocute myself but I am surprised that it would be that easy to access.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim it has spade connectors and installed a plastic fuse until I found a replacement and used the inside CB to control the water heater.
Iggy

AverageGuy 11-09-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2447605)
Jim it has spade connectors and installed a plastic fuse until I found a replacement and used the inside CB to control the water heater.
Iggy

As usual, very valuable information. Thanks.
Jim.

Mr. Dan 11-09-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2447605)
Iggy

What sort of plastic fuse did you use on this 110vAC line?
I just jumpered the two black wires and used the inside CB until I drove 4 miles and bought and installed a new switch before I moved the trailer from my site.

MR.M 11-09-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGuy (Post 2447584)

Thanks,
Jim.

You can verify voltage at the element . that little toggle switch is a weak link . i removed mine and installed a lighted switch inside . Elements are cheap around 14$ 1440 watt easy peasy .

kenandterry 11-09-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGuy (Post 2447720)
As usual, very valuable information. Thanks.
Jim.

Jim......

Iggy is your “go to guy” like no other.
He also owns a 378 model (at least so far :rolleyes:) and Iggy has more photos than anyone I know.

Just sayin’