Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Appliances and Electronics (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Frig and freezer (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f113/frig-and-freezer-28653.html)

maxwell18 08-31-2012 07:55 PM

Frig and freezer
 
I tried to turned my refrigerator on today and it will not get cool, but the freezer is working fine. I thought the two worked together. It is on electric power from the house. I thought if the frig wasn't working the freezer would not also.

The only thing the air conditioning was not on and it was extremly hot in the trailer, but it still has not cooled up after about 4 hrs. the frig I mean. Any on got any ideals?? Need help leaving for trip in the AM.

OldCoot 08-31-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxwell18 (Post 246015)
I tried to turned my refrigerator on today and it will not get cool, but the freezer is working fine. I thought the two worked together. It is on electric power from the house. I thought if the frig wasn't working the freezer would not also.

The only thing the air conditioning was not on and it was extremly hot in the trailer, but it still has not cooled up after about 4 hrs. the frig I mean. Any on got any ideals?? Need help leaving for trip in the AM.

Give it time, the freezer is the first in the cooling cycle. Remove the outside cover and put a fan on it. Will help considereably.

bikendan 08-31-2012 08:02 PM

there's no way it'll cool in only 4 hrs.!
especially on electric and especially the fridge.
one, propane cools faster than electric and the fridge is bigger than the freezer, therefore takes longer to cool.

do you realize that it cools by absorption and not by a compressor, like the one in your home? cooling by absorption will take all night to get cold, especially on electric. i usually allow for at least 12 hours.

Herk7769 08-31-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnnc (Post 246016)
Give it time, the freezer is the first in the cooling cycle. Remove the outside cover and put a fan on it. Will help considereably.

Yep. 24 hours is about right on electric.
8 hours cool down on propane; much more efficient.

Herk7769 08-31-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikendan (Post 246017)
there's no way it'll cool in only 4 hrs.!
especially on electric and especially the fridge.
one, propane cools faster than electric and the fridge is bigger than the freezer, therefore takes longer to cool.

do you realize that it cools by absorption and not by a compressor, like the one in your home? cooling by absorption will take all night to get cold, especially on electric. i usually allow for at least 12 hours.

LOL :roflblack:
I owe you a coke...

Mountainmanbob 08-31-2012 11:09 PM

I agree
 
I agree
takes some time
usually I get ours up and running
24 hours befor leaving
a little frost starts to build up in freezer
I know it's cold
and
working for the trip

don't want to find a problem
while out on the road

Mountainman


maxwell18 09-04-2012 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone, was late getting started and in a hurry. I usually will crank up the air and the fridge about 2 days ahead of leaving. Thats what I get for getting in a hurry, thanks again. Oh the trip was great!!!!!

TURBS 09-04-2012 11:22 AM

I added one fan inside fridge and two in the vent stack mine now cools down to 32 degrees in the frIdge portion in less than 8 hours.
With the air off as well.

B47 09-04-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 246018)
Yep. 24 hours is about right on electric.
8 hours cool down on propane; much more efficient.

Herk and anyone else -

Our Dometic refrig has a cable on the aft right side (as you face it) that is routed though a slideable cover that is fitted over the most right side cooling fin. The cover can be moved up and down the lenght of the fin and the cable will touch the bottom of the freezer compartment above if so desired.

Someone told me that the cable should be touching the freezer bottom in order for the refrig to be coldest. This cable was thought to be some sort af adjustable thermostat. We did position ours so it touches the freezer bottom and it is much colder than before.

I cannot find any information about this cablemor have I seen it mentioned here.

Is this true?

Herk7769 09-04-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B47 (Post 247253)
I cannot find any information about this cable nor have I seen it mentioned here. Is this true?

It has been mentioned several times actually. It is a thermistor and sliding it up and down alters the resistance of the semiconductor based on temperature at that point of the fin.

It is colder at the bottom of the fin and it gets warmer closer to the top. By sliding the thermistor towards the bottom the unit will run the refridgerator section "colder"; closer to the top of the fin, it will run it "warmer."

Set it at the location that gets the beer cold; yet won't freeze the eggs. :thumbsup:

B47 09-04-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247286)
It has been mentioned several times actually. It is a thermistor and sliding it up and down alters the resistance of the semiconductor based on temperature at that point of the fin.

It is colder at the bottom of the fin and it gets warmer closer to the top. By sliding the thermistor towards the bottom the unit will run the refridgerator section "colder"; closer to the top of the fin, it will run it "warmer."

Set it at the location that gets the beer cold; yet won't freeze the eggs. :thumbsup:

Yes you are correct -if I had known what it is called I would have done a search.

What you say is 180 degrees from what I as told as far as up being colder and down being warmer, but I am going with what you say.

I guess this is just another little "RV Thing" you learn as you get more into it. I guess we will have to check the position of the thermistor from time to time.

Thanks for your help - Again:thumbsup:

TURBS 09-04-2012 12:54 PM

Mines up for colder ?

bob213 09-04-2012 01:03 PM

Coldest part of refrig is low, raising thermister will sense warmer air thus telling the refrig to cool it. Mine says UP for cold.

Herk7769 09-04-2012 01:30 PM

Yup, checked the manual.

Up for cold.
The fin is warmer up there as I said so it calls for more cold.
Sorry for confusing you.

B47 09-04-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247332)
Yup, checked the manual.

Up for cold.
The fin is warmer up there as I said so it calls for more cold.
Sorry for confusing you.


No problem - making a mistake here is not something you do often:)

Good to know that my dealer rep (who told me this) knows what he is talking about.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who came in on this.:thumbsup:

Herk7769 09-04-2012 01:42 PM

Mine is perfect in the middle and have not had cause to move it for 3 years.
That memory cell was a casualty of a "Margarita Night."

B47 09-04-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247343)
Mine is perfect in the middle and have not had cause to move it for 3 years.
That memory cell was a casualty of a "Margarita Night."

OK - I have another question now regarding this thermister - we have the cold control buttons on our refrig. Am I correct in assumming that the thermister is controlled by the setting of the cold button?

In other words, changing the cold button setting is the same as moving the thermister up or down without having to actually move it?

Herk7769 09-04-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B47 (Post 247429)
OK - I have another question now regarding this thermister - we have the cold control buttons on our refrig. Am I correct in assumming that the thermister is controlled by the setting of the cold button?

In other words, changing the cold button setting is the same as moving the thermister up or down without having to actually move it?

I don't have that feature, but I assume you don't have the wire clipped to the fins either. My guess is that the buttons do what the wire thermistor does.

B47 09-04-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247458)
I don't have that feature, but I assume you don't have the wire clipped to the fins either. My guess is that the buttons do what the wire thermistor does.

The thermistor wire is attached to the cooling fin via a slideable clip so it can be moved up or down. We also have the push button feature, so I am guessing that the button adjusts the resistance value of the thermistor

Herk7769 09-04-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B47 (Post 247468)
The thermistor wire is attached to the cooling fin via a slideable clip so it can be moved up or down. We also have the push button feature, so I am guessing that the button adjusts the resistance value of the thermistor

No idea. What is the make and model? I will look it up.

B47 09-04-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247469)
No idea. What is the make and model? I will look it up.

The book I keep all that information in is in the RV at the storage facility. I will get it and let you know.

There has to be some connection between the cold setting button and the thernistor IMO.

Thanks

Herk7769 09-04-2012 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the latest Dometic Manual.

It shows temperature "lights" but not buttons.

I will keep looking.

B47 09-04-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247480)
Here is the latest Dometic Manual.

It shows temperature "lights" but not buttons.

I will keep looking.

Herk - don't spend anymore of your time on this. Ours does have the lights and I guess they simply tell how cold the frig is at any one time.

The manual doesn't say anything about the thermsistor, just a thermostat.

Thanks again.

Herk7769 09-04-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B47 (Post 247555)
Herk - don't spend anymore of your time on this. Ours does have the lights and I guess they simply tell how cold the frig is at any one time.

The manual doesn't say anything about the thermsistor, just a thermostat.

Thanks again.

The thermistor is the thermostat. It varies the resistance of the circuit based on its temperature. At a pre-selected resistance the fridge turns on the heat. Sliding the thing up and down causes that resistance to be met sooner or later; thereby selecting the temperature to be maintained.

Think of a mercury switch in an old style thermostat. As the temperature rises the mercury expands and tilts the spring loaded glass vial over and closes contacts that route power to the heater or air conditioner. Sliding a lever adjusts the tilt one way or the other making that "topple" occur sooner or later.

B47 09-04-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herk7769 (Post 247565)
The thermistor is the thermostat. It varies the resistance of the circuit based on its temperature. At a pre-selected resistance the fridge turns on the heat. Sliding the thing up and down causes that resistance to be met sooner or later; thereby selecting the temperature to be maintained.

Think of a mercury switch in an old style thermostat. As the temperature rises the mercury expands and tilts the spring loaded glass vial over and closes contacts that route power to the heater or air conditioner. Sliding a lever adjusts the tilt one way or the other making that "topple" occur sooner or later.


That is the reasoning I said in my #19 post. I bet I am not the only reader here that didn't know what a thermistor was until reading here today.

The manual could show a picture of the thermistor in the section where it speaks about adjusting the temperature.


Some of these manuals you get - but that is another subject entirely (read my rand about the outdoor kitchen refrig thermostat location sometime and you will see what I am talking about).:(

Thanks -

tntrac 09-27-2012 08:39 PM

If I parked the truck (truck is turned off) on the street and have the propane on and the frig is using propane, will the frig draw a lot of juice from the 12v battery on the trailer?

VinceU 09-27-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntrac (Post 257883)
If I parked the truck (truck is turned off) on the street and have the propane on and the frig is using propane, will the frig draw a lot of juice from the 12v battery on the trailer?

No, the fridge doesn't use much DC, however with the battery turned on other parasitic loads will be connected. Usually most can last a few days without charger on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.