Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing and Water Systems & Fixtures (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/)
-   -   Fresh water capacity (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f217/fresh-water-capacity-32798.html)

moondog2000 01-01-2013 08:34 PM

Fresh water capacity

My Forest River X-Lite is advertised as having a capacity of 34 gal fresh so when we wen't to Quartzsite boondocking this week end I thought I would have ample water for at least 2 showers Saturday nite. After my shower The indicator said empty. I had to go scrounge 10 gal up and pump it in. Today I opened up my water tank area under the bed and the tank said 27 gal and below that tmp gal 22.5. Does anyone know what tmp stands for and shouldn't my tank be a 34 gal tank or are they including the hot water heater ? I guess I'll have to carry spare water, a pump and a battery. I wonder if its expensive to have a larger water tank installed. Thank You Mike

N9ID 01-01-2013 08:57 PM

I am guessing that 'tmp gal 22.5' was really 'Imp gal 22.5' and the Imp stands for Imperial. Imperial gallons are slightly bigger than US gallons.

HTH,
Mike

moondog2000 01-01-2013 09:10 PM

Now that I look at it the plastic mold did not fill the bottom of the I . I should have caught that. Thank you Mike

Twisty 01-01-2013 09:11 PM

The water heater capacity is often included.

Dave_Monica 01-01-2013 09:37 PM

The WH capacity is usually included in the advertised water capacity. If you look on the sticker for camper's GVWR and CCC, the weight of all water is calculated and subtracted to determine the CCC.

Also 27 USG is 22.5 imperial gallons (1.2 USG = 1 imp. gal).

On another note, you'll never be able to draw the full capacity from the FW tank as the supply for the pump is on the side of the tank. There's usually a sump and the FW tank drain is off of that. Some has switched the pump supply to the drain sump to be able to use the tank's full capacity.

Dave

moondog2000 01-02-2013 11:43 AM

I filled the tank last nite and drained it into a 5 gal bucket to figure the amount I am getting.I know the overflow vent prevents a full tank and the pump does not pull from the bottom, the drain fitting is the same level as the pump fitting so no gain there. I have 22 gallons to use from the tank. I guess I carry water jugs and a 12v pump and a battery till the warranty expires and then look at a bigger tank If I can find one that will fit. Thanks for the replies. Mike

RoadTrip 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

or take super short showers...

moondog2000 01-02-2013 05:49 PM

I did take a super short shower. I just looked at the tank and it looks 1.5" low because of the overflow. I going to the hardware for tubing and maybe put a loop in the hose above the tank and maybe I can fill the tank to the top and it won't siphion out.This might give me 2 more gallons.

campnqueen 01-02-2013 06:35 PM

Who needs a shower anyway...they are sooo over rated! :O

moondog2000 01-02-2013 08:35 PM

Thats what I'm talking about,Maybe a little spit bath for the pits and good to go. :D

lowbubba 01-02-2013 09:02 PM

We dry camp much more than we use campgrounds, at our local Walmart you can get the blue 7 gallon jugs, they are made to stack on each other. I set a table by the camper water fill, set the jugs on top and use a piece of hose and siphon the water. The table means you are not trying to hold the jug, when one is empty, switch the stack and drain the other one. Then put the empty's in the TV for the next trip to town.We have 4 of them, works for us.
Randy

moondog2000 01-02-2013 11:01 PM

Randy,sounds like my future plan.7 gallon jugs, Wally world has it all. I won't need a table as I have to use an electric pump to put the water in under pressure.90% of my camping is dry camping. Thanks for the tip on 7 gal jugs. Mike

Top B 01-03-2013 07:12 AM

Just remember to fill your tank, then turn on your pump and run the water through your lines and water heater. Then top off the tank again prior to departure or setup.

PopBeavers 01-03-2013 08:03 AM

I use two different portable water containers.

One has a spigot. I can just set it on the table. This works well for filling coffee pots. etc. I got it at Big 5. I have three.

One has a short neck that fits into the filler tube of the fresh water tank. This works well for adding water to the onboard tanks. I got it at Walmart. I have two.

The latter is 6 gallons. The former is 7 gallons.

I can still lift 6 to pour into the Solera. I can not lift 7 that high, and hold it.

When I go boondocking I take all 5 full of water.

moondog2000 01-03-2013 12:31 PM

I wish I could just pour water in my tank but it has to be under pressure as it looks like a half inch line to the tank and the tank is isolated under the bed. It would be nice to just pour the water in. Mike

MtnGuy 01-03-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moondog2000 (Post 287182)
I wish I could just pour water in my tank but it has to be under pressure as it looks like a half inch line to the tank and the tank is isolated under the bed. It would be nice to just pour the water in. Mike

How do you fill your tank ?? Isn't there an outside water fill inlet ??

Dave_Monica 01-03-2013 01:19 PM

It's probably that the water fill inlet is at or below the tank level. There's most likely a check valve at the inlet to prevent the tank from emptying.

I've since this setup on some Crossroads RVs also.

Dave

moondog2000 01-04-2013 01:54 AM

There is a fitting on the side of the trailer you have to hook a garden hose to to fill the tank There is about 8' of half inch hi press hose going to the tank that is isolated under the bed. I cannot use a funnel to get water in.Tonite we bought another 12v pump for a spare because in order to take showers we will have to add water every day. our 27 gal tank only has 22 usable gallons of water. To have a normal fill I would have to have a tank mounted under the floor and a fill cut in by a cabnet maybe.This setup stinks, they could have compensated by putting in a larger fresh water tank.Maybe a water bladder in the back of my truck with a high dollar pump to fill with. All I know is its going to cost a lot of money to make it right one day . Mike

cfsoistman 01-04-2013 07:56 AM

Not sure if this applies to your unit but on the Georgetown Units there have been issues with syphoning of the water from the tank during travel. The movement on the water causes it to go out the vent and it will drain the tank down to about 1/3 of the capacity. You may want to check on your next trip to see if you are arriving with the same amount of water you left home with. Just another possiblilty. I haven't seen anyone other than Georgetown owners with this issue but it may be happening on other units as well.

Pipeman 01-04-2013 08:21 AM

We also dry camp most of the time. We carry a 50 gallon, potable water tank in the bed of the truck. I did it with the 3/4 ton short bed and now have a long box dually. I installed a water tap at one end and connect a double male camping hose to that and then from the pump into the tank fill. I used to use the compressor and use air pressure to make the water go from the outside tank into the 5er. Now I use a 12 volt pump that moves water pretty fast. I just pull up next to the 5er and hook up the cables to the house batteries. The pump has an on/off switch. The tank itself is one of those you might pick up at farm and fleet type store. It's the white plastic one. I have also used a blue 45 gallon barrel and used the compressor to pump the water. When we were new at camping, some 35 years ago, we had a hard top camper and had 14, 5 gallon containers that we stuffed into any spare space we had. I also used a small 12 volt air compressor to move the water, with some renovations to the jugs. Those were the days.......:) I'm not sure but those that have to have use pressure to fill their potable water tanks might be able to use the type of water pump we have. The pump I have is a Bur Cam(www.burcam.com), model # 300209c. It can pump 350 gph depending on the distance. It's a Canadian made pump but you can get the idea if you have a look at their site. Anyway I hope you get the idea.