Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Forest River Lifestyle (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f186/)
-   -   Camping pastimes (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f186/camping-pastimes-37763.html)

Turtle people 04-12-2013 12:02 AM

Camping pastimes

With the dawn of 2013 camping season ahead of us. Just wondering what everybody does to pass the time while camping. For example what kind of drinking games, day activities and night activities do you guys do to pass the time. Beers by, disc golf and battle ship ( every time a ship is hit you take a drink) to name a few and start things off...

bikendan 04-12-2013 01:02 AM

we don't camp to play drinking games.

we camp to enjoy nature and get a break away from work and our daily routines.
we go out and explore the area, take hikes, bike rides, sightsee. at nite, we eat, sit around the campfire and tell stories and enjoy a campfire.

if i wanted to play drinking games, i can do that at home.

Swaggler 04-12-2013 05:09 AM

I am looking forward to cooking up a few steak dinners on the outdoor grill, or better yet, over the campfire, while enjoying my favorite beverage, COLD BEER.

Wiscampsin 04-12-2013 06:33 AM

We're on a seasonal site so we camp to spend time with all the friends we've made there. We also go canoeing, fish, hike, pot lucks, and explore the local area. At night we get together at somebodies site to share a fire, conversation, and drinks.

Pipeman 04-12-2013 06:50 AM

We dry camp most of the time. If we can we bring our granddaughter with us, we do. This May our 1 year old grandson will come up for a weekend, with his parents. We don't camp for just a weekend anymore. We camp with our friends in the same area. We do enjoy a few drinks. We cut wood for the fire that usually goes pretty well all day and into the night. We very seldom cook over the open fire anymore but it's a get together place for all of us. The younger generation who come up with us older folks, usually get out on the dirt bikes, just like we used to, and enjoy the many miles of trails that are around the area. We may go for a walk but then again we may not. We've been camping up there for 34 years now. It's just great to be able to sit, lay, stand or whatever and enjoy the nature that is around us, visit with old friends and watch the real young generation walk in our footsteps.

recon33alpha 04-12-2013 06:54 AM

We fish, drink, cook, ride, walk, kayak, drink, hunt, sit, cook, drink, clean-up kids, play corn hole, drink, eat, fish, boat and so on!

Pipeman 04-12-2013 08:58 AM

recon33A, there seems to be some repetition in your post. I think you got stuck. Have a drink and get unstuck.......:) :) my niner domestic said that...

lindy 04-12-2013 11:26 AM

I think you'll find a common thread thru a lot of the answers and that is relax, take it easy, and enjoy the quiet outdoors. The DW and I enjoy just setting under the awning, reading, listening to the radio, and watching everyone else carrying on trying to set-up camp.

TURBS 04-12-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindy (Post 347872)
I think you'll find a common thread thru a lot of the answers and that is relax, take it easy, and enjoy the quiet outdoors. The DW and I enjoy just setting under the awning, reading, listening to the radio, and watching everyone else carrying on trying to set-up camp.

I LOVE TO PEOPLE watch at cg's.
Sometimes I even takes pictures!

Turtle people 04-12-2013 12:09 PM

we camp to enjoy nature and get a break away from work and our daily routines.

This is why we bought our first TT, my wife love hanging around the fire watching both our dogs and " people". I love fishing, cutting wood and exploring the area ( forests / area).
We bought a TT with bunks so we could bring friends who might not go camping ( city slickers) and wanted to get them to fall in love with the idea of fresh air. And just maybe, grow our group to include fellow " turtle people"

Thanks for all your inputs, we love a nice steak cooked over a fire. Can't buy that at the Keg! May long weekend marks our first trip, 34 days and counting!! See you out there

wmtire 04-12-2013 12:20 PM

I usually camp with a bunch of friends. We have several awesome chefs in the group that do a lot of cooking (I swear I gain 5 pounds every time we camp) so we tend to eat a lot, as well as all-around socializing. Since we tend to stay within about 45 minutes of the house, many other friends who don't camp, will drive over and spend the day/evening with us.

Sitting around the campfire is my favorite....but we also play a lot of card games. Sometimes, we may go off geocaching or benchmarking.

Can't wait till next weekend, as we have 8 sites reserved at our favorite campground.

Turtle people 04-12-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipeman (Post 347771)
recon33A, there seems to be some repetition in your post. I think you got stuck. Have a drink and get unstuck.......:) :) my niner domestic said that...

I think there's country song that's should fit right in with the theme... " ford got stuck when the Dodge showed up"
Lol sounds like good times

ependydad 04-12-2013 12:40 PM

I guess we're a bit of the exception- our camper is our vacation house and we're more of travelers using the campground as a base for checking out the surrounding area. It's common for us to wake up slow, mosey on out anywhere from 9-noon and then be out until after dinner. Once we get home, the bottomless pit (DD) is hungry again and we have to take care of the housely duties (dishes, making bottles of formula, always seem to need to tidy up, etc). Last week we were tourists in Colonial Williamsburg. Over the summer, we spend 2-3 weeks at the beach.

On the other hand, I work from home for my job, so I often spend weekdays at the dinette working 8-10 hours. The wife may hang out, may take the kids to the pool or even do some sight-seeing.

Though, we do have weekends where we're "camping" and playing games, hanging out, going for walks, taking daughter fishing, or enjoying the campground amenities are our thing.

jthomp58 04-12-2013 12:53 PM

I am a very early riser. My most favorite thing to do every morning is to grab a cup of coffee and head outside to listen to nature. I love hearing the birds come to life! We camp seasonal, so we have a small flower garden that I like to tend. We also have a couple of atv's so we often go out trail riding, and end the day cooking up a good meal with our camp neighbors, having a few cocktails, and sharing stories by the fire. Life is good!

Cajun Po-Boy 04-12-2013 12:59 PM

We use our camper as if we had a Vacation Timeshare...we mostly pick trips where there is plenty to do & see outside of the campground and when back at our site in the evening it's dinner, campfire & any activity we feel like doing that night on site.
A member on this forum related their camper as a C.O.W (condo on wheels), thought that was clever and exactly how we view our camper use!

Turtle people 04-12-2013 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun (Post 347913)
A member on this forum related their camper as a C.O.W (condo on wheels), thought that was clever and exactly how we view our camper use!

We joke with people that RV'ers take Their house with them.. Like a turtle. And the name stuck

wmtire 04-12-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtle people (Post 347924)
We joke with people that RV'ers take Their house with them.. Like a turtle. And the name stuck

I like that. I have seen RV's also called Wheel Estate.

ken0042 04-12-2013 01:41 PM

One game I learned as a "drinking game" we have converted into a camping game.

First person starts off naming somebody famous. Next person has to think of somebody who's frist initial is the same as the previous person's last initial. Then it continues around the circle. So it could go like this:

George Washington
Will Smith
Steve Jobs

If the person has the same first and last initial, it switches direction. So for example Marilyn Monroe

If the person really only has one name like Cher, the next person just has to pick another "C."

dkb74 04-12-2013 01:49 PM

Typically we go camping to do an activity, such as kayak or tubing.

In our "downtime", we'll do stuff we don't have the time to do at home, such as:
- play ladder ball
- play other games with the kids... Jenga, puzzles, etc.
- scavenger hunts
- read
- sit by the fire, roast marshmallows
- drink... without having to worry about driving home ;)
- hiking

When I'm home, I take any opportunity to sleep in, as I'm not a morning person. But when camping I am usually the opposite. I relish those few moments of peace alone as I watch the sun come up.

WEMig 04-12-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmtire (Post 347892)
I usually camp with a bunch of friends. We have several awesome chefs in the group that do a lot of cooking (I swear I gain 5 pounds every time we camp) so we tend to eat a lot, as well as all-around socializing. Since we tend to stay within about 45 minutes of the house, many other friends who don't camp, will drive over and spend the day/evening with us.

Sitting around the campfire is my favorite....but we also play a lot of card games. Sometimes, we may go off geocaching or benchmarking.

Can't wait till next weekend, as we have 8 sites reserved at our favorite campground.

WMTIRE,

That must be a "Louisiana Thing". That's how we do it too. As a matter of fact, we will be group camping at the Louisiana Hot Sause Festival this weekend. Cooking, Eating, Drinking and playing cards. :trink39: