Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Third Trip, First Damage on New TT (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/third-trip-first-damage-on-new-tt-43806.html)

JohnF 07-14-2013 11:33 AM

Third Trip, First Damage on New TT

1 Attachment(s)
Dang! When we arrived at the state park and opened the TT we found a glass plate on the floor. It was from the Microwave. Although the microwave door was shut it apparently was forced open by the plate and closed itself again. The plate was undamaged but it hit the countertop on the way down and put a big ding in the edge.

bodzcampers 07-14-2013 11:36 AM

Bummer accident. I guess I would use wood filler, dry, sand, and try to do a faux painting of it to match.

bob213 07-14-2013 11:48 AM

That's a shame but "it's always something!". Try Bondo for wood.
https://www.worldpaintsupply.com/bondo-wood-filler-qt/

Herk7769 07-14-2013 12:06 PM

Don't know what model microwave you have, but our MagicChef food plate has to be EXACTLY on the triangular spinning "nub" in order to be retained. It looks good when it is sitting there, but if not locked in, won't spin (and can bang against the door).

WARNING - The door should not open if properly closed. If the door will not latch solidly; it will leak dangerous microwaves. Get that inspected and/or replaced!

rattleNsmoke 07-14-2013 12:20 PM

We had ours come flying out of the convection oven and hit the floor. Those suckers are tough! Luckily nothing was damaged. Since then we take the microwave dish out and stow it until arrival. I'm not taking that chance again.

Weezer 07-14-2013 12:33 PM

Making a mental note to remove our carousel in the microwave before transporting!

In carrying our new TT to the dealer for the first warranty issue yesterday, we hit a section of interstate just outside the city where they're located that felt like mini land mines going off every 2 feet. I implored DH to slow down! He replied "honey I'm down to 35 MPH!"

It was HORRIFIC! We arrived and I immediately went inside expecting carnage...luckily there was only a wooden tray (with rubber feet) that we normally leave on the table...it was on the floor under the table...on carpet.

We've traveled through there in the east bound lanes with no problem. If we must go through there west bound again we are going to find another highway to travel.

wmtire, I'm sure you know exactly where I'm talking about. :shock:

I imagine 18 wheeler drivers curse like sailors traveling through that approximately 4 mile gauntlet.

JohnF 07-14-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bodzcampers (Post 421165)
Bummer accident. I guess I would use wood filler, dry, sand, and try to do a faux painting of it to match.

It's a small piece of countertop that just surrounds the sink. I am looking into just replacing it since the camper is so new.

John

Oakman 07-14-2013 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We cut the cardboard tubes from paper towels to size and wedge them into the microwave to hold the plate in place during travel.

Dovetail 07-14-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERmit (Post 421198)
Making a mental note to remove our carousel in the microwave before transporting!

In carrying our new TT to the dealer for the first warranty issue yesterday, we hit a section of interstate just outside the city where they're located that felt like mini land mines going off every 2 feet. I implored DH to slow down! He replied "honey I'm down to 35 MPH!"

It was HORRIFIC! We arrived and I immediately went inside expecting carnage...luckily there was only a wooden tray (with rubber feet) that we normally leave on the table...it was on the floor under the table...on carpet.

We've traveled through there in the east bound lanes with no problem. If we must go through there west bound again we are going to find another highway to travel.

wmtire, I'm sure you know exactly where I'm talking about. :shock:

I imagine 18 wheeler drivers curse like sailors traveling through that approximately 4 mile gauntlet.

What section ofnwhat interstate?

Weezer 07-14-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakman (Post 421359)
We cut the cardboard tubes from paper towels to size and wedge them into the microwave to hold the plate in place during travel.

GREAT tip! Again, I'm always amazed at the ingenuity of folks here!

Saving paper towel tubes starting now!

Weezer 07-14-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovetail (Post 421363)
What section ofnwhat interstate?

I-20 West bound, coming in to Bossier City, LA.

eisbell 07-15-2013 09:54 AM

Like Oakman we use tubes also but ours are the foam swimming tubes that we also slice and put on slideouts. Works great.

Weezer 07-15-2013 09:04 PM

Exactly what I was thinking today while working. Was gonna come back here and post it...forgot.

OldCoot 07-15-2013 09:16 PM

A couple of overstuffed pillows from the couch in ours.

Weezer 07-15-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eisbell (Post 421801)
Like Oakman we use tubes also but ours are the foam swimming tubes that we also slice and put on slideouts. Works great.

Where on the slideouts do you put the pool noodles?

ependydad 07-15-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERmit (Post 422372)

Where on the slideouts do you put the pool noodles?

Corners and anywhere you could bang your head.

eisbell 07-15-2013 09:41 PM

Mainly the bedroom slide on each corner and the middle.

eisbell 07-15-2013 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes we also put a long piece in the middle just in case since we are tall.

quiltingcamper 07-17-2013 06:32 AM

Next trip

Tomorrow we head out for a month. First for a wedding in Wisconsin, then to Copper Harbor, Mi. We will spend a week there with my brother, one of my sisters and their spouses. On to Rock , Mi. To spend time with my mother. We continue on to South Haven, Mi and visit with friends. Next it is the rally in Goshen and back to my mothers for her 90th birthday. Final home around Aug 12. This is the life. Any quilters going to Goshen; let's find time to meet and trade stories.

KyDan 07-17-2013 07:11 AM

Found our microwave plate on the floor once also.
I can't believe it didn't break the plate!

Now the plate is in a foam mailer and the microwave door held shut
by a tiny bungee cord.

Live and learn! But by all means :signhavefun: