Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Pets (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   Thunder Shirt (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f90/thunder-shirt-45896.html)

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-13-2013 10:47 AM

Thunder Shirt

Would like to see some comments if you have used the Thunder Shirt to calm your pets, good or bad. I hate to spend the $40 if more people say that they didn't work for them. Thanks :confused:

EdJunior 08-13-2013 11:18 AM

I've never even heard of it. Google, here I come!

TomStacey616 08-13-2013 11:20 AM

In combination with these, the Thunder Shirt works well for our dog when a storm rolls in.... he's a black lab, hound mix...

gmccarth1150 08-13-2013 11:31 AM

I've bought two, one for the little dog (20 lbs) and one for the big dog (150 lbs). They work great. Little dog would try and sleep on my head during thunder storms, mow he will still get nervous, but no where near as bad as it was. The big dog would try and get up in bed with at night during a storm and now he just lays on the floor. IMHO they are worth the money.

Weezer 08-13-2013 11:32 AM

Our Fred used to get horribly afraid when it thundered. We discussed a thunder shirt for him, since he'd calm down somewhat if I just took him to bed and wrapped the covers tightly around him.

Our vet says they work, and a couple of her customers told me they work (one brought her dog in wearing one..he's afraid of car travel).

Fred seems to have mostly grown out of his fear...I guess he's learned that thunder doesn't mean he'll soon be up to his chin in nasty mud and water anymore. He was abandoned in a dog pen with three other very large dogs...that pen was very low, and became a shallow pond when it rained....warm or cold weather. There were two doghouses...the big dogs took them over, climbing up on top, leaving him in the muck.

He now has his own nice doghouse...three bedroom, two bath, with air and heat. :) :) :) Actually he has two of 'em, one is brand new, on wheels!

Rugged Brown 08-13-2013 11:35 AM

I think the thunder shirt worked on our yorkie to tame her high anxiety some, however , all the good it done was undone when we had to take it off with that ripping Velcro sound. She dreaded that.

Spence 08-13-2013 11:41 AM

We've go one for Cooper. His a nervous little dog and hates thunder. nice part is that we always know when its coming tho. we bought a TS and haven't honestly noticed an improvement. But that's more of a dig on my pooch than the fine product. tell ya what.. i'll give you a TS...comes with a nervous dog tho... hahahaha

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-14-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 443632)
We've go one for Cooper. His a nervous little dog and hates thunder. nice part is that we always know when its coming tho. we bought a TS and haven't honestly noticed an improvement. But that's more of a dig on my pooch than the fine product. tell ya what.. i'll give you a TS...comes with a nervous dog tho... hahahaha

I just love you 'sense of humor'.....would love for you to give me the Thunder Shirt, but is it big enough to put 2 nervous dogs in it!!! :roflblack:

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-14-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmccarth1150 (Post 443622)
I've bought two, one for the little dog (20 lbs) and one for the big dog (150 lbs). They work great. Little dog would try and sleep on my head during thunder storms, mow he will still get nervous, but no where near as bad as it was. The big dog would try and get up in bed with at night during a storm and now he just lays on the floor. IMHO they are worth the money.

Glad to hear your positive response. :thumbsup:

mjones12 08-14-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missing75 (Post 444451)
Glad to hear your positive response. :thumbsup:

Missing75: How is your new little dog doing now? Could you update us?

rkuffler 08-14-2013 12:41 PM

We tried the thunder shirt on our dog and it did very little to his anxiety in the car. We have found that a DAP collar (Pheromone) works wonders. Put it on him an hour before we leave and we do not hear a peep out of him. It basically mellows them out and it very natural as well.

Amazon.com: Adaptil, D.A.P (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Collar for Medium to Large Dogs - 27.6": Pet Supplies

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-14-2013 12:53 PM

Cinnamon update

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjones12 (Post 444459)
Missing75: How is your new little dog doing now? Could you update us?

Cinnamon is coming along slowly, but surely. Our last campout was 3 weeks ago, so we have had plenty of 'home' training. She still gets quite agitated when I put her in her crate----have tried all the treat coaxing tips---haven't found the 'secret'.

My trailer is parked in my driveway, so several times a day, we would go out there, and just spend some time, watching TV....and then I would put her in her crate and either stay there with her, or would walk out, wait awhile and then walk back in. Still gets agitated.

We have a campout this weekend, so I will be sure to warn my neighbors that I have a 'dog-in-training' and that she likes to cry alot, when she is in her crate.

It's only been 5 weeks since we joined company, it will just take time. :thumbsup:

Pic is right after I brought her home from being spayed, definitely an attitude adjustment....3 quiet days. :roflblack:

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-14-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkuffler (Post 444462)
We tried the thunder shirt on our dog and it did very little to his anxiety in the car. We have found that a DAP collar (Pheromone) works wonders. Put it on him an hour before we leave and we do not hear a peep out of him. It basically mellows them out and it very natural as well.

Amazon.com: Adaptil, D.A.P (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Collar for Medium to Large Dogs - 27.6": Pet Supplies

Dap is on my list of things to try. I am only trying one new 'trick' at a time, that way I will be able to tell what works, and what doesn't. Thanks for your feedback.

Sargent's Fox Hole 08-14-2013 01:05 PM

By reading everyone's response on the Thunder Shirt to help with 'storms' and 'riding in the car', it looks like it's about even---yeas and nays.

I guess that I should have stated that I wanted to know if anyone used the TS for 'separation anxiety when being put in a crate'. OOOPS :eek:

mjones12 08-14-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missing75 (Post 444471)
Cinnamon is coming along slowly, but surely. Our last campout was 3 weeks ago, so we have had plenty of 'home' training. She still gets quite agitated when I put her in her crate----have tried all the treat coaxing tips---haven't found the 'secret'.

My trailer is parked in my driveway, so several times a day, we would go out there, and just spend some time, watching TV....and then I would put her in her crate and either stay there with her, or would walk out, wait awhile and then walk back in. Still gets agitated.

We have a campout this weekend, so I will be sure to warn my neighbors that I have a 'dog-in-training' and that she likes to cry alot, when she is in her crate.

It's only been 5 weeks since we joined company, it will just take time. :thumbsup:

Pic is right after I brought her home from being spayed, definitely an attitude adjustment....3 quiet days. :roflblack:

Thanks for the update. Sounds like slow but sure progress. I knew it would work out. She's lucky to have an owner who's willing to go the extra mile.