Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Propane tanks (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/propane-tanks-72963.html)

CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown 12-22-2014 10:27 PM

Propane tanks

Do you guys fill tanks up while in storage?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

donanddona 12-22-2014 10:30 PM

Can you take them out?

CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown 12-22-2014 10:31 PM

Yes

CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown 12-22-2014 10:32 PM

Let me rephrase. Do you store them full?

arpipeliner 12-22-2014 10:38 PM

I do. Never had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

WFD 12-22-2014 10:49 PM

I did the first year, but since then I haven't....this fall I put it in storage with one empty tank...no particular reason why, just figured why fill it when I won't need it till spring...left myself a note inside trailer that it's empty in case I forget in the spring..happens as the brain gets rusty!:roflblack:
One reason for not filling it was because propane was higher in price than normal this fall, and thought perhaps it may do as gasoline and drop over winter, so will fill it in the spring. I have stored our outdoor grill tanks empty over the winter and they have never given me grief so figured this would be the same.

donanddona 12-23-2014 11:23 AM

Yes, Want to make sure that check is in the box. Theirs enough cost that creep up on you when prepping the spring trips. Never had any problems.

awellis3 12-23-2014 11:30 AM

Our TT sits idle for about two months (Jan. - Feb.) so I put 'er to sleep as is as far as the propane is concerned.

CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown 12-23-2014 11:32 AM

Some people say to top them off, others say does not make a difference. I am still new at this camping thing. We have a 330 MKS 5ver and still in the learning curve.

M&K Hoffman 12-23-2014 11:37 AM

When a tank goes empty, I have it filled at first opportunity. That is my method. Now I store my TT on my property so it does not matter, but my son stores his pop-up at our local fairgrounds, all inside storage, and propane tanks must be removed before storing.

BTW I use my propane BBQ all year round and it sits on my deck all winter. Same policy, when tank goes empty, I have it filled.

donanddona 12-23-2014 11:38 AM

When planning the known cost of winterizing I.E. antifreeze, anode rod, propane, battery tender, fiberglass insulation, duct tape, bungee cords, permanent covers.......

rockfordroo 12-23-2014 11:41 AM

I didn't quite understand the auto-switchover gas regulator, so I ended up emptying both tanks in my 3rd season, so both tanks were in some state of discharge over two winters. (I'm guessing the first was partially full the first winter and empty the 2nd winter.)

bikendan 12-23-2014 01:12 PM

i just leave them on the trailer, with whatever i ended the season with.
i refill when we start camping in spring.

RubyDually 12-25-2014 02:44 PM

Leave them which ever way you want... You're not going to be wrong either way... :thumbsup:

Stovebolt 12-25-2014 04:25 PM

I have a propane gauge that I attach to the tanks to see what is left in them when I open it up in the spring, that way I know if I have to fill my tanks or I'm good to go. The gauge doesn't cost that much and you can get them at places like General Trailer. Nice to keep with your unit so if you are camping you can check the level periodically. JT