Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (
-   General Community Discussions (
-   -   Electrical Shock!!! (

Lovell's 08-22-2007 11:39 AM

Electrical Shock!!!
Hello all!

So I just took delivery of a used 05 Sandpiper F37 and I was climbing around on and under to inspect - but when I was on the ground (the unit was plugged in to 110v) I touched the camper and feel quite an electrical shock.

I know the answer (find the short) but I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience or found the solution faster than tracing down every last 110v wire.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated!! I would hate to be running the fuel station and have an arc. :(

RAC 08-22-2007 11:42 AM

Has it rained recently? Check the seal of the plug in for water.....more than likely since you got shocked away from it, it is moving along moisture from the source.

aintgotnun 08-22-2007 11:50 AM

Or it could be that your shore power source is not grounded properly. If it is at your house you may want to have your ground checked out. This is not an uncommon problem with houses.

Lovell's 08-22-2007 12:37 PM

No rain, nothing wet - I have a hunch that it is a grounding issue - it is hooked to the house. I might try to issolate that issue by using the generator and touching the camper again! :) That reminds me of how my Grandpa used to check to see if the tractor battery was good - he would just brush a wrench accross the two terminals. :)

RAC 08-22-2007 12:49 PM

Since you were under the trailer, the insulation of tank heaters takes a beating as well....

Lovell's 08-22-2007 01:01 PM

I don't have any tank heaters - but I think you are right! I noticed that the level check doesn't give correct readings on the levels of the tanks - I can't figure out why they don't do a better job wiring some harness or something to protect that area and wires - since that is something helpful to know how full your tanks are.

RAC 08-22-2007 01:03 PM

Especially if you happen to be sitting on the commode!:HaHaHa::HaHaHa:

NDJollyMon 08-23-2007 03:24 PM

those sensors are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.

Rule number one...never trust those gauges...
Number probably what is stuck to them in the tank!

RAC 08-23-2007 05:18 PM

Very quick wit Mr Jolly fireman.

NDJollyMon 08-23-2007 09:48 PM

...gotta stay on your toes around here....:trink39:

RAC 08-24-2007 06:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.