Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles, Hitches & Toads (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Ram 1500 and Air Bags.... (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f12/ram-1500-and-air-bags-85153.html)

stantyszka 06-17-2015 07:36 PM

Ram 1500 and Air Bags....
 
Awesome Forumers:

This forum has given a newbie so much information - I only hope that one day I can return the favor to a newbie like myself. I am back today seeking more wisdom.

I have a Wildwood XLite 281QBXL. Dry weight is roughly 5600. My TV is a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Liter V8 Hemi. I have an e2 hitch for WD and am starting to realize that I also need some sway control. I keep hearing people here talk about adding air bags to the TV. I came across these in my research:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818/

They say that they provide 1000 pounds of load leveling capacity. I am assuming that the load weight to be leveled is the tongue weight and NOT the dry weight of the camper, yes? If so, would these be appropriate to install in my TV? Anyone else using them? What are the positives/negatives to using them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stan

dsjohns71 06-17-2015 08:13 PM

Ram 1500 and Air Bags....
 
First of all Stan, your E2 hitch has sway control integrated with it. It's only 2 point but works good ( I have the same hitch, on the same truck as you). I also installed the airbags (helper springs) to help with the soft rear in these newer Rams. I really like my set up but wished I would have gotten the equalizer hitch with 4 point sway control..
The air lift 1000 are what I have, they don't give you more weight carrying capacity, just help the soft coil springs. I love mine.

stantyszka 06-17-2015 08:18 PM

DSJohns - my dealer would only sell me the E2. I wanted something better but that was the only one they would sell. This is my first camper so while i was not at their mercy and could have gotten a hitch elsewhere I was not up to installing it especially since I needed a hitch to get it home. Did the airbags help you? I realize that the E2 has some sway control in it but boy were my last two trips not fun!

How do you like your RAM? I absolutely love mine. I got the Tradesman because it was cheap and screamed "I'm a truck" unlike some of the others that were a bit more feature laden.

dsjohns71 06-17-2015 08:24 PM

I love my ram. I have the Laramie and has been a great truck. The airbags helped some. The dealer had my hitch all messed up and adjusted wrong so I read up on it and spent a day getting it all correct and has been great since. My trailer is a bit heavier than yours but it works. That was all that my dealer had, well they had those chain type WDH and I would never buy one of those.

stantyszka 06-17-2015 08:29 PM

Yeah the RAM is a pretty awesome truck. My 9 year old wants me to keep it so he can have it when he gets his license.

At this point, I am looking to add anything that will help. If I need to add one or two mods to help remedy porpoising and sway then that is what I will need to do. Do you see any reason that the bags are NOT a helpful mod for you?

dsjohns71 06-17-2015 08:36 PM

Not they helped and would recommend them for any ram 1500 that pulls or puts weight in the bed. Also I would re set up your hitch as most dealers don't set them up correct and when they are setting them up, the trailer is empty. When you get it home a load it up, it no longer is good and has to be adjusted. I had to add 2 washers in the head, lower the ball one hole and raised the L bracket one hole.. They had it way off being correct.

stantyszka 06-17-2015 08:38 PM

Why does that not shock me? I've heard so many horror stories about my dealer but so far I have had decent experiences. Hoping that continues. I think I am going to buy and install the air bags for myself as a Father's day gift!

dsjohns71 06-17-2015 08:42 PM

Good choice. Pretty easy install. I just ran my airlines to a "t" and to the back of the truck. There was a small hole in the hitch that worked perfect for the air valve to be installed with no drilling at all. Easy to fill with air compressor of any type.. Good luck. Any issues or questions feel free to PM me.

Doug...

stantyszka 06-17-2015 08:47 PM

Awesome! Thanks so much for replying to this thread and for the info. In theory the air bags sound like a good idea but Amway does too! It's very helpful to talk with someone who not only uses them but uses them on the same truck that I have. Thanks!

Stan

ov845 06-17-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stantyszka (Post 896839)
Awesome Forumers:



This forum has given a newbie so much information - I only hope that one day I can return the favor to a newbie like myself. I am back today seeking more wisdom.



I have a Wildwood XLite 281QBXL. Dry weight is roughly 5600. My TV is a Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Liter V8 Hemi. I have an e2 hitch for WD and am starting to realize that I also need some sway control. I keep hearing people here talk about adding air bags to the TV. I came across these in my research:



https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60818/



They say that they provide 1000 pounds of load leveling capacity. I am assuming that the load weight to be leveled is the tongue weight and NOT the dry weight of the camper, yes? If so, would these be appropriate to install in my TV? Anyone else using them? What are the positives/negatives to using them? Any help is greatly appreciated.



Stan


We love our RAM, also have Airlift 1000. Our Windjammer loaded weighs in at 7000 lbs. No problem.


2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92

2015 2809 WindJammer

ChrisK 06-17-2015 11:10 PM

I just ordered my Airlift 1000 bags yesterday. I have pulled my Salem 26TBUD with a Husky Centerline TS 3 times, and am really happy with the power of the truck and it tows nice and straight. Hopefully the bags will take some of the bounce out.

ov845 06-18-2015 05:39 AM

Ram 1500 and Air Bags....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisK (Post 897034)
I just ordered my Airlift 1000 bags yesterday. I have pulled my Salem 26TBUD with a Husky Centerline TS 3 times, and am really happy with the power of the truck and it tows nice and straight. Hopefully the bags will take some of the bounce out.


The bags were fairly easy to install. I had the same problem of bouncing. Haven't pulled the trailer with the bags yet but we got a short trip planned next weekend. I'll post the results after the trip.


2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92

2015 2809W WindJammer

Husky Centerline WDH

dsjohns71 06-18-2015 06:07 AM

It does help take the bounce and porpoising out when you hit the bridges and stuff.. You'll love them. The ram has a pretty soft ride due to the rear coil springs. These are great for helping them.

ov845 06-18-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsjohns71 (Post 897087)
It does help take the bounce and porpoising out when you hit the bridges and stuff.. You'll love them. The ram has a pretty soft ride due to the rear coil springs. These are great for helping them.


Did you have to readjust your WDH?


Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH

dsjohns71 06-18-2015 12:35 PM

Only the one time,,, after I got it home from dealer. Before hooking up I put 30-34 (roughly) psi in airbags. When not towing keep about 5-7 psi..

ov845 06-18-2015 01:05 PM

Great! Thanks! I'll try it next weekend when we head to Shabbona Lake.


Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH

mike.t 06-18-2015 03:41 PM

What kind of mileage you guys get? What type of terrain you tow on?
Thanks
Mike

stantyszka 06-18-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ov845 (Post 897004)
We love our RAM, also have Airlift 1000. Our Windjammer loaded weighs in at 7000 lbs. No problem.


2012 Ram 1500 5.7L 3.92

2015 2809 WindJammer


What is the dry weight of your Windjammer?

stantyszka 06-18-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike.t (Post 897720)
What kind of mileage you guys get? What type of terrain you tow on?
Thanks
Mike

Mike on a flat highway terrain with cruise control set to 60 MPH I was able to get 11.2 MPG towing my Wildwood. I estimate that I was towing about 6300 lbs when doing this.

On another trip thru hilly areas in Lancaster PA, I dropped down to about 9.9-10.3 MPG with similar tow weight. We hit one uphill climb where my Hemi wasn't happy but the rest were survivable. I def prefer flat ground!

dsjohns71 06-18-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike.t (Post 897720)
What kind of mileage you guys get? What type of terrain you tow on?

Thanks

Mike


I get 10-12 mpg. I'm in AL so it's not mountainous by any means but hilly in spots.. (I grew up in the Rockies so I know mountains, where people around here think there are mountains) anyway, not great gas mileage but not terrible towing 8000 + lbs with 1/2 ton Hemi..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.