Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Forester and Sunseeker (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   How do you upate Jensen GPS for free (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f15/how-do-you-upate-jensen-gps-for-free-87924.html)

benagi 07-19-2015 07:00 PM

How do you upate Jensen GPS for free
 
We have the Jensen VM9726BT with the sd card slot in the upper right corner. I see there is a card in there already. Right now it looks like the nav software is from 2012. Went to Naviextras.com as instructed on the Jensen Nav. menu. Created an account but can't see where to get the free update on units that are less than 90 days old. How do I get a free download to the computer, so I can then transfer it to the Jensen in the Motorhome. Thx, Ben

Creativepart 07-19-2015 11:13 PM

We did the same. No free update. So I contacted support and they said if anyone turned on the GPS at any time that the free update would have expired within 30-days of that date. And this is true even though the manual for the product says you have 90-days from the day you register the product.

Then support followed that up with "We are closing your support ticket because we answered your question."

They sent me a satisfaction survey to gauge my satisfaction with my support request, I gave them a zero on a 1 to 10 scale.

Maybe Forest River could get involved?

Joshua Cavitt 07-20-2015 09:26 AM

If I'm not mistaken the Jensen rep is on this forum.

n-e-d 07-20-2015 09:47 AM

Dont think he replied to last thread about updates

5hfarms 07-20-2015 12:20 PM

Jensen GPS
 
I have the same problem, bought my Forester in December and immediately called to get the free update. I was told the same thing. I figured that since the motorhome was new the information was the latest, so did not pursue the issue.

Don't mean to hi jack your post, but I have a problem, the estimated time of arrival is not accurate. At times it can be 2 or more hours off. This can be very annoying when planning a trip. Has anyone else had this problem? I thought maybe an update would fix the problem, but have not been able to get an answer from the manufacturer. :crying: :crying:

ustamiata 07-20-2015 12:27 PM

Suggest you just use the Jensen as a radio and CD player and buy a Garmin that comes with free lifetime updates, is easier to see, and is astonishingly accurate.

benagi 07-20-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ustamiata (Post 929135)
Suggest you just use the Jensen as a radio and CD player and buy a Garmin that comes with free lifetime updates, is easier to see, and is astonishingly accurate.

We do like our old Garmin, but you would think with such a nice package in these motorhomes the nav. system would be up to date and work properly. The problem seems to be with the software from naviextras.com which according to their website, they support hundreds of different units. Can't believe it's just a Jensen problem.

Creativepart 07-20-2015 03:58 PM

I bought my 3051S in June. The unit was built in Jan 2015 but the map files on the GPS are from Oct, 2013.

For them to simply ignore this free update is pretty rotten. I'm not sure why any RV company uses Jensen stuff - it's just not up to snuff.

I've looked at replacing that entire unit with an Alpine or other brand. For about $500 you can get a unit that has both Apple Play and Android Car built into it. Integrating with your phone, maps, etc.

Creativepart 07-20-2015 04:02 PM

Here's the response I got from Jensen's contractor iGO through there "Naviextras" support website:

Quote:

Dear Paul,

First of all, thank you for your interest in our products!

My name is Edwardand I will handle your issue from now on.

I understand that you are not offered the free map update.
Please note that most of the free updates offered can be installed within 30 days after the first use of the device (after the first time the device received GPS signal). As 30 days already passed the free map updates are already expired.

In case you were informed differently regarding the free map update please contact the manufacturer of your device for further support in this matter.

Based on the information available to us we now consider this ticket closed. Should you have other inquiries regarding another issue, please open a new ticket through naviextras.com or through Naviextras Toolbox.

Fill out our Customer Satisfaction Survey and receive a discount coupon code at the end!

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Edward,
Naviextras® Support

benagi 07-20-2015 06:09 PM

I see it's more a Jensen issue then. The Jensen manual is the one that says 90 days. We need a Jensen rep. to deal with Naviextras so we can all get our updates within the time period.

Creativepart 07-20-2015 06:11 PM

Yes. That's what we need. Someone from Forest River OR Jensen or BOTH to own up to this and get us at least one new, current update.

Boso 07-20-2015 08:00 PM

Jensen rep told me thirty days when I asked a few months back


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RGG 07-20-2015 08:02 PM

Agreed. We bought a new Sunseeker 2250 this year (2015) which had the Jensen Nav unit and the Sirius/XM unit activated in February while still in the manufacturers control. When I took delivery in May, the Nav unit free trial had already lapsed and the Sirius unit had just another 2 weeks or so before it gave up the ghost. Calling the dealer, Forest River, Jensen, Naviextras, etc. became just a waste of time. I did eventually get to a helpful agent with Forest River who actually offered to have the company reimburse me for a few months to make it up... they actually seemed to understand what the issue was here... at that point, I did not care about the trials... I paid for both subscriptions, and did not pursue the offer for reimbursement... that is not the point: the point is that we all paid for something we did not get, and Jensen, in particular, was very callous about their lack of responsibility in this matter... they are the ones that shipped a unit with crazy-outdated maps that are totally useless... and the upgrade that I just purchased is actually quite good... I have a Garmin and a Ford unit in my car and this one is just as good... maybe different, but good. It is Forest River's responsibility to negotiate an arrangement where we do not get this kind of treatment... at least future customers do not need to suffer the hassle.

benagi 07-20-2015 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGG (Post 929589)
Agreed. We bought a new Sunseeker 2250 this year (2015) which had the Jensen Nav unit and the Sirius/XM unit activated in February while still in the manufacturers control. When I took delivery in May, the Nav unit free trial had already lapsed and the Sirius unit had just another 2 weeks or so before it gave up the ghost. Calling the dealer, Forest River, Jensen, Naviextras, etc. became just a waste of time. I did eventually get to a helpful agent with Forest River who actually offered to have the company reimburse me for a few months to make it up... they actually seemed to understand what the issue was here... at that point, I did not care about the trials... I paid for both subscriptions, and did not pursue the offer for reimbursement... that is not the point: the point is that we all paid for something we did not get, and Jensen, in particular, was very callous about their lack of responsibility in this matter... they are the ones that shipped a unit with crazy-outdated maps that are totally useless... and the upgrade that I just purchased is actually quite good... I have a Garmin and a Ford unit in my car and this one is just as good... maybe different, but good. It is Forest River's responsibility to negotiate an arrangement where we do not get this kind of treatment... at least future customers do not need to suffer the hassle.

RGG, when you did purchase the update, did you download it to a PC and then upload it to the 4gb micro sd card that comes with the Jensen radio and then put the card back into the Jensen radio, etc.?

Deaver 07-20-2015 08:52 PM

Can someone with a Jensen remove the 4gb micro sd card and put it their card reader slot on a PC and Tell me what files are on the sd Card?


You can put the card back into the Jensen after the read

Creativepart 07-20-2015 10:46 PM

There are a lot of files there. Points of Interest. Operating system. Maps. Config files, Fonts, Graphics... 376 files in all. So, it's not feasible to post them all here.

benagi 07-20-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deaver (Post 929663)
Can someone with a Jensen remove the 4gb micro sd card and put it their card reader slot on a PC and Tell me what files are on the sd Card?

You can put the card back into the Jensen after the read

I am also reading the files and downloading to my pc as a backup. Had to use an old phone and put my card in it, then hook the phone to my pc using a usb cable . It's working but slow as a molasses. Interesting that the Folder <RTNavi> has a date of 2/5/15 which all the files and folders are in it for the Nav package.

RGG 07-21-2015 08:27 AM

Yes. I had a desktop computer with a built-in Micro-SD Card reader and it worked fine. After I bought the one year subscription to map updates, I removed the 4G Micro from the Jensen unit and, using the Navi toolbox tried to update the system... it all worked fine until I realized that the update required quite a bit more than 4G... I made sure I did a full backup of the 4G version, ran to my local Staples and bought a 8G Micro-SD (real cheap... you can get bigger), restored the software onto the bigger Micro-SD card (you get an alert that says you are only supposed to install this on one system... bypass this as this is exactly whet you are trying to do). Once restored, I redid the update and everything worked fine. I then re-installed the card in the Jensen unit, turned it on and, voila, I had an updated system... so far it has worked very well... takes a bit of getting used to the software configs which are different than my other GPSs and the manual is not very helpful on some details, but I was able to figure most things out. My only problem so far was driving thru Chicago (from Wisconsin I90 to Michigan I94)... darned thing made us hit all the toll booths... at least 10+ of them... I don't mind tolls usually, but this was ridiculous... it clearly does not factor in the wait times and stop-restart times very well... live and learn... avoid Chicago tolls!).


Hope this helps...

benagi 07-21-2015 11:34 AM

RGG, when you go the NAV window of your Jensen and click on info or about, what is the year of the software upgrade. Mine right now says 2012. Thx, Ben

markangie24 07-21-2015 02:34 PM

I still agree that the Garmin is the way to go. Jensen is a nice radio only!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.