Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Community Discussions (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Trip planning advice (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f2/trip-planning-advice-881.html)

Krudedawg 09-07-2007 03:53 PM

Trip planning advice

We have gotta take a trip on a small fixed budget from home near Charlotte, NC to Great Lakes Naval Training Center near N Chicago, Illinois to see our son graduate from Naval Basic training. Counting our 9mth old grandson, there will be 4 of us making the trip. We have several options:
#1. Plane tix, rental car
To get around while there,
And hotel rooms.
(This is really not an
Option cuz its expensive
And wifey's afraid to
Fly)
#2. Rental car for the
Whole trip($250),hotel
Rooms($100+per night),
And round trip gas($300)
#3. Tow my camper up @
9MPG($600 in fuel) and
Risk TV breakdown(its
At 250k miles)
Open to input and advice on the situation. What would you guys do?

Hokiehall 09-07-2007 08:28 PM

Not many campgrounds in the Chicago area. My wife is from that area.We go up once a year to see her folks. It is a LONG drive but we do it in a day from our home in Virginia. About 15 hours total including stops.

I would go with option 2 in your case. Save the tow vehicle for towing and wear out the rental car. Once you get near Gary Indiana, traffic becomes very heavy most of the time. I don't think I would ever tow a trailer into the Chicago area due to the traffic issues.

I do have a shortcut in Kentucky that shaves a bit of time off the trip. Let me know if interested.

Paul B 09-08-2007 11:19 AM

Life is too short, sacrifice if you have to, he will only graduate once. Number two looks to be the best. I would seek out lower cost hotel/motel rooms. Ask about the areas that would be the safest. Is there a chance you could stay on base? Ask your son if he has any friends that may put you up for a couple of days(of course you will pay a modest sum to them).

Or is there anybody in the area that would set up their TT for you in the driveway for a couple of days. Ask, you will either get no response or hopefully a response.

Good luck,

Paul B

Krudedawg 09-08-2007 08:19 PM

there is a campground on base for $14/night but I think we have decided on option #2... room around $70/per night and a rental car for the whole trip for around $300 plus gas... guess since our trip thru the mountains to Lake Lure last weekend went so well, I just got cocky and figured I could tow my rig anywhere I wanted to. hehe. At this point I just feel like #2 is the safest decision. There will be plenty of other opportunities to tow the camper on a long trip. Maybe when our daughter and Army SIL get transferred to GA, we can plan a trip there to see them.

Radio 09-11-2007 09:02 PM

The tipping factor here is the baby.

I would never travel in anything that runs the risk of leaving me stranded with a baby. Therefore I vote #2.

Just the wife and me, and if there's a good parking/camping spot, then #3

Radio

welshman599 09-11-2007 09:31 PM

Looks settled, and I'm in agreement.... man it would suck to run into trouble with a baby on board and an event you just have to get to.

welshman599 09-11-2007 09:33 PM

Wait I didn't see that you have a CHEVY. only 250,000? Shoot, you're good to go!

Haha, joking, #2