Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Tech and Repair (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/)
-   -   Apple FanBoys/Girls...Discuss (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/apple-fanboys-girls-discuss-92208.html)

BamaBob 09-10-2015 08:09 AM

Apple FanBoys/Girls...Discuss

So iPad Pro. A replacement for the Laptop? Are we really in a Post-PC Ear?

If you get the top of the line (WIFI+LTE), plus AppleCare, + Apple Pencil, + Apple Cover/Keyboard you start knocking on the door of a low end MacBook Pro (but easily $1K+ less than the top of the line).

It seems to have a lot of flexibility that my old iPad Air lacks (that 12.9" screen comes to mind :D ) And, as a semi-professional Photographer the new Adobe Apps are simply astounding. Using the Apple Pencil and touch, I can see that Photo Editing and retouching would be vastly easier on the iPad than my MacBook.

Email, Facebook, iChat, and "Office Apps" (Word/Excel/PowerPoint), Web Surfing and other "Productivity" apps are all equally easy on either platforms IMHO. (And when we retire, our need for "Productivity" apps will decrease markedly ;)

I have always told 6Actual that when the iPad could do everything I can do in Photoshop, Lightroom, & SmugMug, it will be time to move completely to the 'post-PC era' and ditch the (thankfully ageing) MacBook Pro. I am wondering if we are here - either now or when the iPad Pro 2 comes out next year.

We retire at the end of 2017 and will go Fulltime, so downsizing is on the horizon. Looking forward to a good discussion of not only the iPad Pro, but all manner of technology solutions (Hint: The New Apple TV announced yesterday - given you have decent WIFI available, is this something you would put in your rig?)

[NOTE! This is not a thread to bash any product!! I would like a civil discussion of the merits of the iPad Pro (and other comparable devices) as a Post-PC device that could replace the traditional lap/desktop computer--especially for a retiree in a RV :) )

chrisbailey13 09-10-2015 08:19 AM

I would think the MS Surface Pro would be more machine for a lot less money, they come with the stylus, and keyboard.

IMO

Jim34RL 09-10-2015 08:28 AM

We have both an I pad and the Dell PC with Windows 10 installed. My wife uses the I pad and I use both, but I will not give up a home base PC. I have way to many programs on the PC to give it up; such as Quicken Deluxe 15 which I use to pay bills and print checks with, Adobe Photoshop, Drop Box to transfer photos to family members, Microsoft Office 2013 which I use for my spread sheets and communication needs. The Rand McNally interface for the GPS, which I do not believe is Apple compatible. There is no Facebook or Pinterest on the PC

The I pad to me is more of a supplement to the PC and we use this when traveling interfaced with my wife's I-phone as a hot spot.

Just my humble opinion and $0.02

Mountndream 09-10-2015 08:47 AM

a tablet is limited to being a secondary device because of storage. 128 gig is alot till you start putting all your pics etc on the tablet. With modern smartphones having such good cameras, i would consider using that as a camera and coupling it with a 2 in 1 Windows 10 laptop. I can use it as a tablet, i can type with a real keyboard.. it stands on its own so I can watch a movie on it.

BTW, i use my 2 in 1 device as my work device as an IT professional. I also am a big Apple fan.

Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave now that Apple offers a Pencil (stylus)

SKnight 09-10-2015 10:01 AM

I haven't looked at the pro but I've been using an iPad 4 to remotely process photos for three years now. It simply works great.

But, I'm back and forth on Apple right now. While awesome in many ways it's not the same since Jobs died, they're making mistakes they didn't seem to make before. I'm looking towards my next machine and while it will be awesome, I can do the same with a pc for half. That's an 18 month away thought, so I'm watching them.

I agree with the others, tablet style devices are a ways off from being truly standalone. I've got 5tb of photos now, so until that's overcome I'll still be stuck with a conventional computer.

aceinspp 09-10-2015 10:08 AM

What ya talking about Louis:confused::roflblack: To much for me to much tech. Later RJD:trink39:

AbdRahim 11-21-2015 12:42 AM

Precisely, besides tablets have no storage space. try 360 GB of music, then there is movies and documents and programs etc. PC's and servers will be here for the foreseeable future. Though the iPad is convenient for Internet access, not being tied to the chair where the computer is. Also great for carrying around a boatload of books and manuals.

LANShark42 11-22-2015 10:04 AM

As an IT professional, I won't be giving up my desktop and laptop anytime soon. There are just too many work-related programs I need that aren't available on the iPad.

Bottom line - it boils down to what your needs are... I think you'd miss your Mac...

ekrus 11-22-2015 05:40 PM

I'm very happy traveling with my 11" Mac Air. It's about the same form factor as a big tablet but has an SSD so I can actually store stuff on it. Closes up to protect the screen in transit, too :-).

AbdRahim 11-22-2015 07:39 PM

I was very surprised. MyMacBook. Pro died. Only lasted about 4 year and did not even get used heavily. Motherboard bit the dust. A bit pricey to replace. Will do without for now. The old Thinkpad is still going strong.

B and B 11-22-2015 10:44 PM

Manage 300 plus Macs, iPad and MacBook.
No way can a iPad replace a MacBook. I would look at a MacBook pro with retina. Blows a iPad any performance wise and less likely to break it. For portable us get a iPhone 6S or a brand spanking new BlackBerry Priv.