Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   General Tech and Repair (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/)
-   -   Loose Tape On The Undercarriage (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f110/loose-tape-on-the-undercarriage-92864.html)

audiocentric 09-19-2015 01:02 PM

Loose Tape On The Undercarriage

We just purchased a Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 231RBXL the first part of the year, and we've been pretty happy so far. I'm getting ready to winterize it coming up, but I've noticed on the underside that there's a black tape that looks like it's used to help seal areas where lines run through the bottom of the trailer; it reminds me of wide black electrical tape, or black duct tape. I've noticed a couple places where the tape has come loose, or has fallen off. What type of tape should I use to replace the stuff that's come loose?

Jimcam22 09-19-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiocentric (Post 987988)
We just purchased a Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 231RBXL the first part of the year, and we've been pretty happy so far. I'm getting ready to winterize it coming up, but I've noticed on the underside that there's a black tape that looks like it's used to help seal areas where lines run through the bottom of the trailer; it reminds me of wide black electrical tape, or black duct tape. I've noticed a couple places where the tape has come loose, or has fallen off. What type of tape should I use to replace the stuff that's come loose?

I use black Gorilla Tape on mine.

Dabmeb 09-19-2015 10:11 PM

X2 on the gorilla tape, works great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

mikkeeh 09-19-2015 10:14 PM

x3

cpaulsen 09-20-2015 07:49 AM

X4! Just clean up the area with some kind of cleaner so it will stick! I used brake cleaner on a rag.

audiocentric 09-20-2015 01:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the quick response...I'm off to get some tape! :)

Rivnut 09-20-2015 08:14 PM

x5.....me too

Sc00ter 09-23-2015 07:57 PM

X6. Clean surface and black gorilla tape.

trbomax 09-23-2015 08:07 PM

My question would be why is there any tape in the first place?

Sirsea 09-23-2015 08:44 PM

Had a water leak on our camper and the dealer cut the underside to gain access to the hose fittings rather than taking it all off; guess it saved a lot of time. The Gorilla tape held for the two years we owned it.

Jimcam22 09-24-2015 11:02 AM

Mine was for access to the main slide motor when it had to be replaced.

trbomax 09-24-2015 11:47 AM

I have tape all over the bottom of mine to. It came that way,but it should not have. My attitude about the tape thing is that if they had to cut a hole in the roof or sidewall would it be OK to tape it back together? When the tape under there comes loose and starts letting road wind(not to mention dirt and water) in,you wont know it untill it tears the belly off and you are dragging it down the road.

eresidae 12-23-2015 03:11 PM

I might not worry too much about having tape in small areas (like where the lines run thru), but like some other posters, I have two strips of tape from side to side where a local dealer patched the undercarriage back together. My fresh water tank had to be repaired and the undercarriage was cut all the way across in two places. That was only months ago and the tape is already falling off. I'm still under warranty. Would it be unrealistic to ask the dealer to replace the entire undercarriage in one piece, like the way it came delivered?

jgourlie 12-29-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eresidae (Post 1063161)
I might not worry too much about having tape in small areas (like where the lines run thru), but like some other posters, I have two strips of tape from side to side where a local dealer patched the undercarriage back together. My fresh water tank had to be repaired and the undercarriage was cut all the way across in two places. That was only months ago and the tape is already falling off. I'm still under warranty. Would it be unrealistic to ask the dealer to replace the entire undercarriage in one piece, like the way it came delivered?

It wouldn't hurt to try....I think the dealer should also have access to some different types of tape that is a lot stronger than say duct tape etc..

Platokidd 12-29-2015 06:58 PM

RV underbelly tape should be no problem for small stuff..

Quote:

Originally Posted by eresidae (Post 1063161)

Pick up some corrugated plastic, cut to size and screw it in.