Forest River Forums

Forest River Forums (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/)
-   Forest River Lifestyle (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f186/)
-   -   Fly tying on the road (https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f186/fly-tying-on-the-road-95788.html)

Tombsy 11-03-2015 04:37 PM

Fly tying on the road
 
Any fly tyers here? I've been fly fishing and tying for over 30 years and I'm pretty excited to get out in our new Forester. Curious to see any ideas for benches, desks, lights, material storage whatever you are using. Anything from plastic totes to custom built wooden desks. I'm planning on using an old table top organizer and a JW Outfitters fly tie bag I snagged years ago before they went out of business and I will probably have to supplement the light over the table with a small lamp like an Ottlight.
I've been doing a lot of tropical salt water fly fishing the last few years but my home water is the Bow River right out my front door. My first trip next year will probably be chasing big Kamloops trout in B.C. with chironomids. That's where the motorhome will be amazing because if you can stay for a month you'll probably catch the hatch at its best when the big 'bows lose their minds.
I had an amazing trip to Vancouver Island this year chasing pink and coho salmon with flies competing with sea lions and orca's.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...80f7090dbd.jpg

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...991f175d68.jpg

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...42ce67007b.jpg

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...907fe3e3f4.jpg

BamaBob 11-03-2015 04:53 PM

I have, I believe, that SAME Bag! (Mine is Blue) It's right at 20-ish years old and is still functioning great. It will go with me when we go fulltime in 2018!

themounties 11-03-2015 05:04 PM

Very nice pic's, I would love to catch either one of those.

rblake39 11-03-2015 05:08 PM

What weight rod do you use for Orcas? I tie also. Started when I was about 10 and I'm 54 now. I still use my old Thompson model A with a stand alone base. It can be taken apart and stored any where. As for materials, a friend of mine made me a 12 x 12 box a while ago with a bunch of dowels drilled and glued into it. It holds all my thread, floss and lead weight. I have it packed up right now as we are getting ready to move into a new fifth wheel in a couple of months. Otherwise I'd post a picture. Moving from New Jersey to Florida. A Tarpon on a fly is still on my bucket list. As for materials, they are stored in large tupperware containers. I've whittled it down to just a few containers over the years. I've always just stuck to the old standard tried and true patterns.

Living in Jersey we get to Vermont 4 or 5 times a year. Our first stop is always Orvis and the fly fishing museum in manchester. Worth a trip if you've never been.

Tombsy 11-03-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaBob (Post 1027396)
I have, I believe, that SAME Bag! (Mine is Blue) It's right at 20-ish years old and is still functioning great. It will go with me when we go fulltime in 2018!

It's the blue one and it holds a ton of stuff. :)

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...a477bc4730.jpg

Tombsy 11-03-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rblake39 (Post 1027402)
What weight rod do you use for Orcas? I tie also. Started when I was about 10 and I'm 54 now. I still use my old Thompson model A with a stand alone base. It can be taken apart and stored any where. As for materials, a friend of mine made me a 12 x 12 box a while ago with a bunch of dowels drilled and glued into it. It holds all my thread, floss and lead weight. I have it packed up right now as we are getting ready to move into a new fifth wheel in a couple of months. Otherwise I'd post a picture. Moving from New Jersey to Florida. A Tarpon on a fly is still on my bucket list. As for materials, they are stored in large tupperware containers. I've whittled it down to just a few containers over the years. I've always just stuck to the old standard tried and true patterns.

Living in Jersey we get to Vermont 4 or 5 times a year. Our first stop is always Orvis and the fly fishing museum in manchester. Worth a trip if you've never been.

I'd love to go to the museum, my cat was named Orvis! lol. A big tarpon is on my list as well, caught some babies in Cuba but nothing Florida big. My toughest challenge has been Permit, what a frustrating fish, many hours in and even if you manage to do everything right they just stick their tongue out at you.
But all the stars aligned for me in Costa Rica, I managed to land a 200 lb. Blue Marlin and Sails on the fly.
For the Bow River I have my regular tried and true patterns nothing much changes but the chironomid midges you need a ton of sizes and colors to match what they are feeding on so we usually pump some stomachs and tie at the lake.

Lloydg 11-04-2015 01:28 PM

I fly fish but my fly tying is horrid so I just buy them or accept some of my fly tying buddies products. I think if I were to fly tie while RV'ing, my biggest problem would be convincing my wife that a perpetual mess would be acceptable. :roflblack:

BamaBob 11-04-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombsy (Post 1027405)
It's the blue one and it holds a ton of stuff. :)


YEP! I remember I had a 20x30x30 wooden fly tying chect (with a integrated fold down table) that had been made for me as a going away present when I was Prez of a German-American flyfishing club back in 1988. By 1990 the desire to lug that anchor (as lovely as it was!) to camps, flyfests and the like went into the basement :eek:

I came upon that bag and it was love at first site and you know what? I was able to put EVERYTHING from the chest in the bag with the exception of my (rather extensive :rolleyes:) hook collection.

You are right, it holds a TON of stuff!!

BamaBob 11-04-2015 03:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rblake39 (Post 1027402)
What weight rod do you use for Orcas?.

Me Personally? A 15' 22WT rod with a 40WT shooting head. I used a 14', 3/8" stainless steel tippett.

I had good success with a Royal Wolff variant (see below).

Unfortunatly I horsed him a bit and he broke off before I could land him.

Photos below because....
:useless:
:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

BamaBob 11-04-2015 03:11 PM

Fly Fishing Trivia: that Royal Wulff is the world's largest fly.

I saw it back in 2003 in Logan UT and, as I recall it weighs over 3 tons and is over 30 feet long! :eek:

BamaBob 11-04-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombsy (Post 1027418)
For the Bow River I have my regular tried and true patterns nothing much changes but the chironomid midges you need a ton of sizes and colors to match what they are feeding on so we usually pump some stomachs and tie at the lake.

I'm going to need to pick your brain over the next year or so!

In 2018, we plan on making that big AlCan run (Yep I WILL Fish the Copper!)

On the way up, I (and several other guys n gals in the caravan) want to fish the Bow whe we stop in Calgary. Your insider advice will be invaluable!!

whj77372 11-04-2015 03:55 PM

That fly also looks like a Royal Coachmen. I hope you enjoy BC
I sure did and the fishing was great. Good Luck

BamaBob 11-04-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whj77372 (Post 1028261)
That fly also looks like a Royal Coachmen. I hope you enjoy BC
I sure did and the fishing was great. Good Luck

Royal Coackman has hackle wings - the Wulff is a hackle wrap (I know esoteric difference)

Fly tying trivia: Know the difference between a "Royal" Coachman or Wulff and a "Coachman or Wulff Fly?

The red floss on the body that splits the peacock hurl :)

Tombsy 11-04-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaBob (Post 1028212)
I'm going to need to pick your brain over the next year or so!

In 2018, we plan on making that big AlCan run (Yep I WILL Fish the Copper!)

On the way up, I (and several other guys n gals in the caravan) want to fish the Bow when we stop in Calgary. Your insider advice will be invaluable!!

No problem I'll help you out. If anybody in your crew can drive a drift boat I might know where to find one :) It's a big windy western river but it's a tame float with no whitewater.
But I would definitely look into a guide for the first trip, the river really changed after the big flood a few years ago and their knowledge is invaluable. If you like 20"+ trout on dries you'll like it lol. Here's a shot to give you an idea.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...afab837880.jpg

jhoppmann 11-04-2015 05:38 PM

Good book series

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

BamaBob 11-04-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombsy (Post 1028339)
No problem I'll help you out. If anybody in your crew can drive a drift boat I might know where to find one :) It's a big windy western river but it's a tame float with no whitewater.
But I would definitely look into a guide for the first trip, the river really changed after the big flood a few years ago and their knowledge is invaluable. If you like 20"+ trout on dries you'll like it lol. Here's a shot to give you an idea.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...afab837880.jpg

DROOL!! I haven't caught 20+" Bows and Browns since I fished the Traun River in Germany MANY years ago when I was posted there with US Forces!

Caught my first Grayling there as well - AWESOME and hope to get back in to them on the ALCan Trip!!

P.S. Does Drifting on the San Juan or Gunnison count? If so , I can drive (but I wanna fish!! :roflblack:)

Tombsy 11-04-2015 09:38 PM

We used to trade off the rowing after 20 minutes or a 20" fish whichever came first lol.

4mula1fan 11-14-2015 11:30 AM

I love to fish with popping bugs for panfish and bass on Kentucky Lake. People look at you like you're crazy when they see you. They fight to catch 10 fish, while I catch hundreds. Been doing it since I was 7 years old. Thanks Dad. :)

Tombsy 11-14-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4mula1fan (Post 1035111)
I love to fish with popping bugs for panfish and bass on Kentucky Lake. People look at you like you're crazy when they see you. They fight to catch 10 fish, while I catch hundreds. Been doing it since I was 7 years old. Thanks Dad. :)

Nice, anything on the surface is a blast. I got to catch my first ever bass and bluegills this summer in California. The bass was just a little guy but it was a lot of fun on a friends #2 weight rod.
I think I've got my tying stuff sorted out, I found a smaller tying stand at BassPro and had to go with second tying bag to be able to carry salt and freshwater stuff. It should all fit in a tote bin in the rear storage.

MainelyUS 11-20-2015 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are ever come east to the New England area a must stop is the Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co. in Taunton, MA. One of the best freshwater/saltwater fly shops I've been in within the US. If they don't have it you don't need it.
Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.

There are some good RV parks near awesome trout rivers throughout MA, VT, NH & ME. We stayed at Country Aire and fished the Deerfield River in western Mass.
Attachment 94703


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.