Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

Soon to be Roo 233s owners!

Hi from Maryland! We’re hoping to trade in our (awesome fantastic but outgrown) popup for a Roo 233s in the next few weeks. We had 2 kids when we bought our popup, and we’ve had two more since: really excited about that third bed and couch!
I had a few questions I couldn’t find threads on :
1. Where do you put your generator? We have to keep our TV (Sequoia 5.7l) lightly packed with 6 people in there.
2. Is there a checklist somewhere for set up/tear down on a 2017 233s? Trying to ease the learning curve. Especially on the black water routine.
Any sage advice and pro tips appreciated for a big family graduating from popup to hybrid!
StrwbryShrtck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
bloodybill

hello and welcome
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio , good luck w/ your ROO quest !
Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

I cant help you with the generator. We dont carry one, and I doubt any of the storage compartments are big enough to house one.

Set up and tear down are simple. We used to try and make the kids help but that turned into a chore itself. They would drag it out and make it take twice as long as it should have. We gave up trying. Now they just run as soon as we park, and we dont see them again until they smell food. The wife and I can get through set up in usually 15-20 minutes. Set up will actually go a lot quicker than it does with your pup even though you have more beds. The canvas is permanently attached to the bunks, you dont have to bungy it on, and there are no support poles to install under the bunks. They are supported with steel braided cable on the inside of the bunks. Just eliminating those 2 things cut set up time in half, roughly.
Set up is much the same as any other RV.
First level side to side. I usually set the drivers side slightly higher or I level with the slide in the out position. I found if I dont, im slightly off level after I run the slide out.
Chock wheels,
Unhook from TV,
Level front to back and run down your stabs,
pull the 3 bunks down, and run the slide out if you havent already.
set up the tent ends with the Shepherds poles and make the beds.
Hook up water and electric and your pretty much done.

Packing up is more or less the reverse of that except for it makes it a ton easier to run your fans on high and close the door before putting up the bunks. The negitive air pressure in the camper pulls the tent ends in and keeps it out of the seals when closing up the bunks.

233S is great with kids. You get a ton of livable space with a relatively small foot print. It lacks storage. Thats probably our biggest complaint. You have to get creative, but I think you'll be happy with it.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #5

I've found the more people "helping" with setup/teardown merely complicates the job and results in missed items. During setup my wife and daughter are detailed to walk the dogs, set up the interior, and prepare a late dinner as we usually arrive early evening. If we're camping nearby as on a holiday weekend I frequently book the day before as an extra day and take the trailer out and set it up. We can all arrive the next day to a "cottage" and bypass the long lines of trailers arriving and signing in.

Setup/takedown is darn near identical to your popup noting the beds swing down rather than slide out. Same hassle regarding wet tentage on takedown mitigated by the ability to sleep out under tentage.

You'll adapt quickly.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrwbryShrtck View Post
Hi from Maryland! We’re hoping to trade in our (awesome fantastic but outgrown) popup for a Roo 233s in the next few weeks. We had 2 kids when we bought our popup, and we’ve had two more since: really excited about that third bed and couch!
I had a few questions I couldn’t find threads on :
1. Where do you put your generator? We have to keep our TV (Sequoia 5.7l) lightly packed with 6 people in there.
2. Is there a checklist somewhere for set up/tear down on a 2017 233s? Trying to ease the learning curve. Especially on the black water routine.
Any sage advice and pro tips appreciated for a big family graduating from popup to hybrid!
Welcome from a fellow Marylander... And fellow hybrid owner. We looked hard at the 233s but we did not need three beds so we ended up getting the 23ws. Hope you enjoy the change from a popup as much as we do.
We get electric sites, so don't carry a generator.
Where do you tend to camp?
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #7

The most important piece of advice that was lightly touched on here is:

When closing up, make sure all the windows are closed and the door is closed. Turn on both exhaust fans on high, then go outside and close the bunks. The negative air pressure keeps the canvas in when you close them and makes it a snap. No tucking canvas and the canvas doesn't get caught in the seal increasing the chance of leaks.

My wife and I love the 233. When we have the kids and a big crew with us, we have the space to sleep all. When it is just the 2 of us we can leave the back and side bunk closed and still have a great comfortable camper. Best of all worlds.

Lastly, if you have the U shaped dinette, get a couple of small sized chairs. There is plenty of space with the slide out to pull the chairs up to the table. We seat 6 adults around it easy.

Depending on the size of generator you have, you won't find storage in the 233. All the storage spaces have too small of doors and the storage areas are just too small. You would have to put it inside the trailer itself though I am not sure I would like the gas in there. I have seen people rig up a platform off the back of campers to carry a generator. That might be the best solution.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Where do you tend to camp?
Our favorite spot is Assateague, we go every year. We’ve also taken our popup to the Finger Lakes area of New York, Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Savannah/Tybee Island. We’ve got Assateague (twice), Canaan Valley WV, and Mammoth Caves National Park KY on the schedule for this year!
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Team

As far as the generator, you're hampered because you have a SUV.
A good inverter generator has a vent cap that should prevent fumes. But after usage, they will smell some.
Some, if they have a 2000w inverter generator, can fit it in a lidded storage tub.
Or you'll have to store it in the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Our favorite spot is Assateague, we go every year. We’ve also taken our popup to the Finger Lakes area of New York, Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Savannah/Tybee Island. We’ve got Assateague (twice), Canaan Valley WV, and Mammoth Caves National Park KY on the schedule for this year!
Neat areas and sounds alot like us. We also go far places. Since we don't have a genny and we can never get a electric spot at Assateague, we hang out at Chincoteague. We also go as far north as the finger lakes in NY and south to Myrtle Beach. We do a big trip every 5 years or so, our first was to Yellowstone in our popup and our second was Grand canyon with the hybrid. Both trips were awesome. Mammoth is on our wish list as is Acadia.

If you don't have popup gizmos (also called PUGS), I would highly recommend them. They are silver cloth coverings for the tenting and they keep the tent beds cooler in the summer. They also keep the tenting cleaner.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #11

Well folks, we picked up our camper yesterday! We went with a new Shamrock 233s because we were fortunate enough to sell our popup privately so didn’t have the trade in weighing down the deal. We’re camping in our driveway tonight, fun!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #12

Great deal! Congrats! Enjoy your new camper and post some pictures when you get a chance.

Nights Camped in 2021-?

2020-8, 2019-27, 2018-12, 2017-29, 2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #13

I second GalsofEscape recommendation to invest in PUGS. We've had them on both our 2007 Roo 232s and our current 2019 Roo 235s. They make a nice difference in both interior cabin temperature and bunk end comfort and help keep the muck off of the canvas. We keep them attached with velcro and have no issues closing up the bunk ends.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
KateE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #14

Congratulations on your new hybrid from a fellow Marylander and former hybrid owner, see signature. We started in tents, then pop ups, then hybrid, and now 2104s. We’ve enjoyed them all while they lasted and being in a camping group makes it all the more fun. Happy Camping!
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
Congratulations on your new hybrid from a fellow Marylander and former hybrid owner, see signature. We started in tents, then pop ups, then hybrid, and now 2104s. We’ve enjoyed them all while they lasted and being in a camping group makes it all the more fun. Happy Camping!

I see a fellow Sequoia owner, too! Is that your tow vehicle? Any bits of wisdom there?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateE View Post
I second GalsofEscape recommendation to invest in PUGS. We've had them on both our 2007 Roo 232s and our current 2019 Roo 235s. They make a nice difference in both interior cabin temperature and bunk end comfort and help keep the muck off of the canvas. We keep them attached with velcro and have no issues closing up the bunk ends.

Thanks! I put an order in for the PUGs the day we signed for the Shamrock ! I forgot to ask for Velcro in the order, but they added it on no problem! Any tips for putting the other side of Velcro on the camper?
Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks! I put an order in for the PUGs the day we signed for the Shamrock ! I forgot to ask for Velcro in the order, but they added it on no problem! Any tips for putting the other side of Velcro on the camper?
The hooks side of the Velcro, we used the peel and stick type. Did not have any big issues until we used the camper in really hot weather (like the desert out west) then the glue got soft and would not hold very well. Got glue on the tent ends. we ended up using small screws to hold it on.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #18

Quote:
I see a fellow Sequoia owner, too! Is that your tow vehicle? Any bits of wisdom there?
We have the smaller 4.7l engine but it does good for where we’ve been camping in PA, MD, VA. Ours has a 4-speed transmission and I disengage OD when towing so it doesn’t hunt for gears.

A couple of things that have worked well for us are a Tekonsha P3 brake controller if your Sequoia doesn’t already have a brake controller and a Andersen WDH. A WDH will help with sway control especially when semi-trucks pass by and will allow you to distribute weight back to your front steering axle. We originally had an Equalizer 4-point which worked as advertised but the housing head at 58lbs got too heavy for me to lift. Andersen’s total weight is under 60lbs for the entire setup.

The other thing to consider is the payload for your Sequoia. You can find that number on the driver door jam or in the manual. Ours was in the manual and is 1250lbs for driver and other occupants and gear. We removed our 3rd row seat since we didn’t use it to gain about 80lbs. In our case it’s just the DW and me. Add up all occupants, gear, WDH weight, and tongue weight and see if that number is under your payload number.
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid
Tigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
The other thing to consider is the payload for your Sequoia. You can find that number on the driver door jam or in the manual. Ours was in the manual and is 1250lbs for driver and other occupants and gear. We removed our 3rd row seat since we didn’t use it to gain about 80lbs. In our case it’s just the DW and me. Add up all occupants, gear, WDH weight, and tongue weight and see if that number is under your payload number.
we have a 5.7L, with tow package. Just installed a brake control. We do have the equalizer e2 WDH set up.
We looked into payload, especially with the Shamrock 233s having a 700lb tongue weight. We get 1,380lbs. We have to be very careful to pack light, we're close to max with 6 occupants (2 adults, 4 small kids), the WDH and trailer tongue weight, and a front bike rack, minus one seat taken out. Planning on visiting scales to be sure between now and first camping trip on Fathers Day weekend.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #20

Quote:
we have a 5.7L, with tow package. Just installed a brake control. We do have the equalizer e2 WDH set up.
We looked into payload, especially with the Shamrock 233s having a 700lb tongue weight. We get 1,380lbs. We have to be very careful to pack light, we're close to max with 6 occupants (2 adults, 4 small kids), the WDH and trailer tongue weight, and a front bike rack, minus one seat taken out. Planning on visiting scales to be sure between now and first camping trip on Fathers Day weekend.
That 700 lb tongue weight is the dry tongue weight. Actually 708 lbs:

Flagstaff Shamrock 233S | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Loaded I'm betting you're closer to 900 lbs. Add the WDH and I'll bet you're close to 950 lb tongue weight.

Don't understand what your 1380 lb number applies to. Is that your allowable payload? If so, you probably only have 1380 - 950 = 430 lbs for you, wife, kids, and stuff. With 6 people, I'm betting your exceeding your payload.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, roo